Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Farmer's Wife Family Restaurant, Ono, Pa.

I took my first trip to Pa., this past May. The Farmer's Wife Family Restaurant in Ono, Pa., is certainly worth mentioning. I was fortunate enough to find it with my co-workers one morning when nothing but a hot breakfast would do.

On the drive there, we passed several farms. All of the big red barns, black and white spotted cows grazing in pastures and corn silos reminded me of when I was a kid because I’d always wanted to grow up on a farm with cows, chickens and all things farm-y. If ever a place captured this childhood fantasy of mine – Ono succeeded by leaps, bounds and hay bales. Ono looks and even smells (thanks to the abundance of bovines) just like my farm-y, childhood daydreams.

As we glided over those rolling, Pa. hills in the truck I found myself feeling so relaxed and lost in my thoughts – thoughts I was actually able to hear now that we were so far away from the noise of D.C. Something unique to Pennsylvania are all of the stars – actually called “barn stars," that I noticed were displayed
on the barns and houses we passed by. Come to find out, barn stars go way back in history and have their origin in Amish tradition – which made sense, since Pa. has a huge Amish population. Traditionally, the Amish hung a barn star on a newly built barn or house. It’s kind of like a good luck symbol, similar to a horseshoe. Thank you, google.

At last we reached our destination – The Farmer’s Wife Family Restaurant. From the moment I
stepped through the doors, I knew this place would be a winner because I was instantly transported
back in time. The home-style digs reminded me of a restaurant my family used to frequent when I was
a child called Henry’s. Anytime a place can make me recall a good something, ANYTHING from my childhood, well, that's an achievement. The Farmer's Wife, like good ol' Henry's, exudes family friendly
vibes that can be felt from across the room. The beautiful homemade pies and cakes displayed in the
dessert case, a group of old men slurping their hot coffees and shooting the breeze, the cheerful and plump
waitress reminiscent of a favorite aunt – all of these things and more just make The Farmer’s Wife
Family Restaurant feel a little bit like home.

Looking at the menu isn't even necessary, but I glance at it anyway just to make sure they have what I want - my favorite. After confirming it's on the menu I order blueberry pancakes. “Apparently, it’s a blueberry pancake kind of day,” said the waitress. “It’s all anyone’s ordering today!”

As we wait for the food to arrive, the girls chat, but my mind is somewhere else – back in that kitchen where I imagine “farm fresh eggs” cracking on a heavy mixing bowl, heaps of plump, juicy blueberries the size of gumballs and the sizzle-pop sound of pancake batter hitting the hot, cast-iron skillet. I sip my coffee out of a small white mug and anticipate the first bite of blueberry pancakes.

Not a moment later, the waitress sets a hot plate of big, golden and fluffy blueberry pancakes in front of me.
Seconds later, I spread a generous dollop of butter across the pancakes that are dotted with large gooey
pools of hot blueberries. The golden butter glides – like a svelte ballerina pirouetting across a stage,
as it slowly spins and melts against the warm cakes. A moat of maple syrup forms around them and
completes this breakfast nirvana.

Every single bite was filled with blueberries – juicy, sweet and perfect. The bread is thick yet light and
fluffy with a hint of vanilla. Hands down, The Farmer’s Wife Family Restaurant has the best blueberry
pancakes I've ever tasted – it's heaven on a plate. They are so good in fact that I would be willing to make
the two and half hour drive from D.C. just to taste them again – and I will!

The trip to Pa. was a great chance to get away from the city for a little while. Ono, Pennsylvania was a welcomed retreat from the rush of traffic and hectic day-to-day city life. Everything slows down in Ono – to a nice gentle roll where thoughts can be heard; home can be felt – and tasted.

Ono, Pa. is a big oh yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment